Making Happiness a Habit

Making Happiness a Habit

Day-to-day life is busy. And often, happiness takes the back seat. Happiness is one of the main things we should aim to maintain in our lives, yet it is one of the first things to become neglected. Here are some tips to keep your happiness in the front seat.

Happiness isn’t something that can be achieved all of the time. That’s unrealistic. But there are so many situations in which so many of us automatically adopt the negative point of view. Or we let something small and annoying blow out of proportion. We let it ruin our day. We deserve better than that.

Your life is so much more than a series of misfortunes. That may sound melodramatic, but it is mostly true. A spilled coffee, a bad driver, a rude customer, a bad grade. These things shouldn’t ruin your day, your week, your month.

It’s okay not to be happy all the time. You put hours and hours into studying for that exam. That driver could have caused an accident. The shirt you spilled your coffee on was your favourite.

But there are so many things to be thankful for that we often forget.

Get Some Fresh Air

Yep, good old outdoors. No no, don’t skip past this part – there’s more to it thank you think. I’m not your Mum, nagging you to get off the computer and go outside. But she did have a point…

Breathe some fresh air, feel the sun on your skin. Especially that part. The skin starts to produce Vitamin D when UV Rays hit the skin. A deficiency in Vitamin D is closely associated with depression. When sunlight hits your eyes it signals the brain to create more happy hormones.

Get. More. Sun.

Go outside on your lunchbreak. Get off the bus a few stops before yours and walk. Go and sit on the garden bench to eat your breakfast. 15 minutes outside can do you the world of good.

Start a Happy Jar

Reading that back it sounds a bit weird.

Whenever something makes you happy, write it down on a little slip of paper. Pop them in a jar or bowl and save them up until new years eve. Then, read them back to yourself alongside a glass of the fizzy stuff. Or a bottle.

Appreciate your life and the things you have done, or people have done for you. There are always more little things that made you happy than you remember.

Make a Bucket-List

Think of all the things you want to do in your life. It could be as mundane as going to a particular cafe, or as crazy as doing a bungee-jump. You could put places you want to visit, musicians or comedians you want to see live, musical instruments you want to give a go. Every time you tick off something on your bucket list it will feel like an achievement.

It can also inspire you to do more. If you actually write down your goals, you are more likely to go out and achieve them. They are there, willing you to put a little tick beside them.

Do Some Exercise

Endorphins are released when you exercise. They make you feel happy and are natural pain and stress relievers! Yes you may feel tired, out of breath, but those endorphins will make you feel a whole lot better. Plus it makes you feel better for treating your body right! If you do this several times a week you can make it a habit and get some of those endorphins regularly!

Be Friendly

Try smiling. Try starting conversations. Most people will return your friendliness and be cheerful and kind. If you weren’t feeling all that chipper in the first place, then people being positive towards you should help. Plus you can take credit for making their day a happy one.

Create a Positive Environment

This covers a whole lot of things. It could be that you light a candle and dim the lighting. You could throw the windows open on a sunny day. You could put up some fairy-lights or make a feature-wall full of photo’s you love. If you’re messy like me, you could tidy everything properly and make sure to have a tidy-up every night. Read 10 Reasons to Tidy for some inspiration if you need it. Just make sure you feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible in your environment – be it your bedroom, living room, office or car!

Sleep!

One of the best things you can do to help you and your body feel the way it should be is getting enough sleep! A lot of your problems or ailments can stem from a lack of sleep. If you have the luxury of not having to get up at a set time, just make sure you’re getting the amount of sleep that you know works for you. If you have to get up early, aim to be in bed about 30-60mins before you want to be asleep. Wash your face, brush your teeth, get comfy. Read a bit, disconnect from your phone.

Happiness is something you deserve. Make sure you aren’t doing anything that stands in the way of it. However, it is perfectly natural not to be happy all of the time. Allow yourself to be sad sometimes, but try to keep it in perspective. So much in your life can be good if you let it.

I’d love to hear how you like to make yourself happy, and if you have any tips!

22 Comments

• naomirowan
      May 15, 2017 / 9:20 am

Yes! I’m really hoping to get outside today on a walk, but it’s looking a little wild! Yes, that’s such a good idea!

1. February 8, 2017 / 7:46 am

I used to do a happiness jar in the past and it was so nice to open it up at the end of the year and see what made me smile! I don’t know why I don’t do this anymore, but I’m tempted to start this up again…

I’m not an outdoors kinda person nor do I do exercise, and retail therapy is my best method for happiness (and it does involve walking I guess….). No wonder I’m such a shopaholic! Eating delicious food helps too.

• naomirowan
      February 8, 2017 / 7:50 am

I need to try a happiness jar! Retail therapy is always great! If used as a way to cheer myself up u do buy stuff I don’t need though….

2. February 6, 2017 / 6:00 pm

Sleep and sun are my two best mood boosters. I do get more down in the winter but give me blue skies and sun, I’m happy no matter the temperature. Cloudy miserable days are what dampen my mood. Lovely tips though! All so so true 🙂 xx

sophieannetaylor.blogspot.co.uk

• naomirowan
      February 6, 2017 / 6:10 pm

Me too! I’m pretty sure I was a bit depressed over the winter because of the lack of sun. Pretty sure you can get special lights for that though? Something like that. Thank you so much for reading – I’m glad you liked the post!

3. February 3, 2017 / 4:20 am

Sleep is amazing! I totally agree with that one even though everything on this list is great. Sometimes I just need a really chill or mellow playlist and a fuzzy blanket and I’m more than content. Add in some chocolate and we’re golden! (:

Single Vegas Girl

• naomirowan
      February 3, 2017 / 10:05 am

It really is, but I seem to get less and less of it when I have more to do, which then makes it more difficult to get all that stuff done as I’m tired! Thanks for reading!

4. February 2, 2017 / 11:17 pm

I’d love to sleep…but I have twin babies sooo maybe in a year or so! Loving your advice

• naomirowan
      February 2, 2017 / 11:23 pm

Us humans should learn to successfully catnap! I bet they keep you busy! Thanks lovely xx

• naomirowan
      February 1, 2017 / 7:56 pm

It’s such a simple yet humbling idea!

5. ThatGirlYT
    January 31, 2017 / 8:44 am

I am in love with the idea of a happy jar! It’s important to be more appreciative of the good things in your life, instead of always focusing on the negatives. And you’re right, we all deserve happiness!

xoxo
    Freya
    thatgirlyt.wordpress.com

• naomirowan
      January 31, 2017 / 9:23 am

It’s such a nice idea! Negatives seem to always take over, we need to let the little things that make us smile keep us going! xx

6. January 30, 2017 / 1:57 pm

Ah I love this! I’m making a conscious effort to be happier lately and this is a perfect little reminder!

• naomirowan
      January 30, 2017 / 2:53 pm

It’s good to just try and stop to think about it every day! It’s so easily forgotten

7. Sharon
    January 30, 2017 / 8:03 am

Love it – well done Naomi 🙂

• naomirowan
      January 30, 2017 / 10:36 am

Thank you! I’m so glad you like it!

8. January 29, 2017 / 9:37 am

I love this!! I learned a long time ago that life is too short so I make it a habit everyday to be happy regardless of how the day may go.

• naomirowan
      January 29, 2017 / 9:40 am

Thanks for reading! That is a great way to look at life – there are always more things that make you happy than one annoying thing in a day. Things get out of proportion easily!