I have recently gone self-hosted with Siteground and would like to share how easy it is! Follow these simple steps and you should be on your way to being self-hosted yourself!
*This post contains affiliate links. These are always the last things added to a post, they do not influence the content. They do help me keep this blog running by helping with hosting costs though!
Please note, I am on WordPress. I am not sure how hosting works for Wix or Squarespace sites. If you are on Blogger, Siteground can provide the same service I describe in this post. They can also transfer a Blogger blog to WordPress or vice versa.
Going Self-Hosted was something I heard about a lot when I started blogging. I was kind of scared of it though – I had no idea how to do it or what it entailed! All these bloggers had their professional looking blogs that did things mine didn’t. I wanted in. So I have taken the plunge and gone self-hosted, and I love it! And it wasn’t nearly as scary as I thought it would be.
Why go Self-Hosted?
To make it easy, I’m going to list the reasons I think it is worth going self-hosted, or even starting your blog self-hosted!
- You get the domain name you want; no platform tag! www.blogname.com rather than www.blogname.platformname.com. (Domain names are subject to availability, if it’s taken you can’t have it!)
- You have more freedom to customise your blog. Free blogs provide limited plugins, whereas with a self-hosted blog you can download more of them to expand site capabilities.
- Theme selections are also limited on free platforms, you can choose any you want when you are self-hosted.
- Your blog appears more professional and is more likely to be ranked better in search engine results.
- Free platforms limit advertising capabilities which can make it difficult if you want to earn money from your blog.
- You have much more space to upload photos and videos – you are limited on free blogs.
- You own your blog! A free blog is hosted on someone else’s property and they can take it down whenever they see fit. It has happened! All your hard work, down the toilet…
Why use Siteground?
If you purchase hosting with Siteground* you receive a few things alongside the hosting:
- Frequent hosting deals and offers! Hosting for a year can cost you from around £30 a year or less!
- If there is a discount at the time you choose to sign up for hosting, it applies for the amount of time you choose – not their longest if you don’t want to commit for that long!
- A free domain name registration.
- Free site migration. This means that if you have an existing site, it will be moved over to your new site for you. All without breaking any links or ruining anything! You will keep all the same followers, comments, likes etc.!
- A free custom email address should you wish. This would be email@example.com
- Extremely fast setup! They will also call you if you want to talk you through the process. Personally, I liked to use their live chat as I could ask any questions as and when they came to me throughout the process.
- Siteground has up-time of 99.9%! This means the site will almost never be down, meaning you can get on with your blogging without worrying about things out of your control.
- I’d like to reiterate how great their live chat is! I still use it probably weekly. If I ever have any questions I can either send a message to them and get a response within a few minutes! Their email support is also great if you aren’t able to hang around.
How to go Self-Hosted!
If you’ve got to this point you’re either interested in going down the Self-Hosted route with Siteground, or you’re extremely loyal. I’m thankful for both!
Quick Tip: I would make sure you either know what domain name you want, or that you have had a brainstorm! You will need to choose your domain name in the Siteground set-up, and bear in mind that your dream domain may already be taken! Have a few ideas on hand.
Choose your Plan.
- I currently use the StartUp Plan. It is ideal for people with one site.
- The GrowBig Plan is made for people who have multiple sites and it also improves the speed of the sites.
- The GoGeek Plan is perfect for people with large e-commerce sites or people who want loads of development options like staging and GIT integration (if you know what those are – I don’t!)
You can always upgrade if you decide the plan you’ve chosen isn’t big enough for you. Plus I’ve heard that they are good at working out a deal that works for you! Their customer service has been great so I can imagine that would be so.
Go Ahead and Complete the Order
Whatever period of hosting you choose, if there is a discount advertised it will apply for that period! Many other hosting platforms will require you to pay for their longest available period of hosting to qualify for their discounts.
Aaand you’re done!
That’s it! A couple of clicks and you’re done! You can ask Siteground to migrate your site for free but you will have to give them some of your blog details to do this, including your username and password. This was kinda scary for me but just remember how many people use their services and are happy with them!
I would really appreciate it if you would use my links as this helps me earn a little bit of money, to go towards running my blog! So If you’re interested in going Self-Hosted with Siteground just click any of the links in this post, like this one! Oh and it is at no extra cost to you – it just helps me out!
I hope I’ve shed some light on this subject, and answered some questions for you! If you have any more, please do comment below or get in touch via any of my social media accounts! I will try to add to this post as more questions come up, or maybe I should write a ‘Going Self-Hosted FAQ’ post? Whaddya think?